Thursday 23 May 2013

Felixstowe's Queen of Crime, Ruth Dugdall

Ruth Dugdall is a local crime writer and will be appearing at the Felixstowe Book Festival on Sunday 16th June.

Thanks for agreeing to take part in this interview.

Firstly, please could you tell us a bit about yourself?

I’m Ruth Dugdall, a Felixstowe based crime novelist. I have three published novels, all of them set in Suffolk. 'The James Version' is a historical fiction based on the murder of Maria Marten in the Red Barn, Polstead.
'The woman before me' and 'The sacrificial man' are modern psychological thrillers, and the central character is a probation officer, drawing on my own previous career.

As I have spent most of my working life with criminals, it is natural that my novels are `crime` though I am far more interested in motivation and the psychology of crime than simply uncovering `who dunnit`. This is why all of my novels start after the crime has been committed and the criminal caught; they are concerned with why the crime happened and the frailty of humanity.

Have you ever feel that your subject is too dark or worrying to write about?

I am drawn to the darker side of humanity, and always have been.

Several years ago I came across the story of Armin Meiwes, a German who had advertised on the Internet for a willing victim whom he could kill. This story fascinated me, and I wanted to know more about why Meiwes had placed such an advert but also about the `willing victim`, Bend Jurgen Brundes.
My research led me to other cases where people have met on the Internet and then chosen to die together, in suicide pacts.
Why would someone choose to die with a practical stranger?
The Sacrificial Man is about a man named Smith who advertises on the Internet for a woman to help him to die. It is also about Alice, who responds to the advert and assists Smith.
My work as a probation officer taught me that every action, even the most heinous or bizarre, has a story behind it which can place the act in some sort of context.
I decided to write a novel that could explore some of the questions cases like Meiwes and other Internet suicide pacts can raise.

I think that answers your question about `is there any subject that would be too dark for me to write about`. The answer is no.

How did you go from being a Probation Officer to being a published author?

It took me a long time to find a publisher, and it came about because I entered a competition.
The Woman Before Me won the 'Debut Dagger' in 2005, which was a watershed moment for me. Until then I’d thought of writing as a hobby – I’d self-published my first novel (The James Version) but was still working as a Probation Officer. The Dagger gave me the confidence to resign and dedicate myself to writing full-time.
The day after the Dagger awards I signed with a top agent and the novel was going to be submitted to six major publishing houses. I thought I had made it…
But that would have been just too easy. 'The Woman Before Me' didn’t get picked up by the major publishers. They worried that it was “not commercial enough”, and that it didn’t fit neatly enough into the “crime novel” box. It went into the bottom drawer and I started to write my third novel, 'The Sacrificial Man'. I have to tell you, this was all pretty soul-destroying and I was really beginning to wonder if I was just kidding myself and I should just go back to work.
Then, in the summer of 2009, I saw the Luke Bitmead bursary advertised in Writer’s News. It seemed perfect for 'The Woman Before Me'. The bursary aims to promote and publish a new writer each year, and was set up in memory of Luke Bitmead, a talented writer who sadly committed suicide.
When I won the award in October 2009 I cried through much of the ceremony, knowing that I would finally see my novel in print. So, after waiting nearly five years, I finally achieved my goal!

As a Felixstowe based writer, you must have been very excited to hear about the first Felixstowe Book Festival taking place! What impact do you think that the book festival will have on the town?

I am hugely excited about the Book Festival! I think Felixstowe has something of an image problem, and it wouldn’t be the obvious place for a Literary Festival, but it’s time the town stepped into the light. There are many people who love books here, and I’ve been both surprised and thrilled at the turnout to the author events held by the local library.
When Meg (the festival) organiser first told me her plan I thought it was ambitious, and when I look at the programme I see that her ambition has been realised. Such a rich feast of events, with something for everyone. I applaud her tenacity and vision and strongly home that Felixstowe folk get behind this event so it can become a yearly one in the town. The success of Art on the Prom shows what we can achieve, so come on people, buy a ticket and get blown away by everything the festival weekend has to offer!

Has Felixstowe made many appearances in your writing?

'The Woman Before Me' is set in Felixstowe, with many recognisable places described – including the Palace Cinema, and The Grosvenor, haunts of mine. Also, Rose gets a job in a local hotel. Did I mention that my parents own a guesthouse in the town…?
To say my work draws on what I know is an understatement. Probably more accurate is that it reveals a part of my soul.

Many of the authors have never been to Felixstowe before, could you recommend a few things to do or places to visit while they're in town?

We have a great beach – much better than other Suffolk coastal towns! You can actually swim and build sandcastles. We even have donkeys. The Spa Gardens are lovely, and nearby is the brand new Fludyer ArmsHotel, where you could sit and enjoy the view from the terrace.

Visitors will be very much involved with all of the events, but if there is time to take a walk to the Ferry, running alongside the Links golfcourse and passing the Martello Towers. The cafĂ© down there does a mean breakfast and if you’re lucky, you may spot a seal.

Ruth will be appearing on the 'Deadlier than the male', panel which features herself, Sophie Hannah and Michelle Spring discussing women and crime writing. The event will take place at The Orwell hotel on Sunday 16th June between 2 – 3pm.

Tickets can be purchased here.

No comments:

Post a Comment