Monday 20 May 2013

Introducing Adele Geras


Adele Geras is a writer of books for children, young adults and adults and has published over 90 books. Adele will be appearing at the festival on Saturday 15th June with crime writer Geraldine Evants to talk about the highs and lows of being a writer.

Thank you for giving  up your time for this interview Adele. 

Firstly, tell us a bit about yourself…

I've been writing books since 1976 and have published 95 or so....mostly for children though four adult novels as well. These are going to be reissued by Quercus (publishing house) as ebooks when they publish my fifth adult novel next year. That's called 'Cover you eyes'. I live in Cambridge now but for 43 years we lived in Manchester.

At the festival you will be discussing what it's like to be a writer, what are the most common questions you get asked about being an author?

Children ask things like: “Are you rich?” and “How long does it take to write a book?'”
Before I published books for adults, they would always ask:  “Will you write a real book when you've had the practice?'” ALL children's writers get asked that question which makes us want to scream! The others are: “Will you be the next JK Rowling?" or else "Should I have heard of you?"

You’ve written books for children, young adults and adults, do you prefer writing for one particular audience? What are the different challenges of writing for different age groups?

I love writing for young adults and adults best. I don't differentiate much between those two groups except for the fact that the protagonists are younger in the YA books. And adult books are generally longer.

I recently discovered that Sophie Hannah, crime writer, is your daughter and will also be attending the book festival. Are you happy that Sophie became a writer like yourself?

I am thrilled skinny that she's  a writer and more than that, she's an extremely successful one and I love her books! What would have happened if she'd written books I found hard to read, I don't know but as it is, I look forward to every new one from her and she's also amazingly prolific and hardworking. She is an example to her mother, really which is just as it should be!

This year’s festival is ‘a sense of place’, have you read anything recently that really captures the sense of a place and made you want to visit?

Well, it didn't make me want to visit but you get a very good idea of Alaska from 'The Snow Child' by Eown Ivey. And I'm enjoying 'In Zodiac Light' by Robert Edric which is set in a lunatic asylum as they used to be called. I can visualize that exactly from the novel, which is about Ivor Gurney, the poet and composer.

How did you get involved with the Felixstowe Book Festival? 

Elaine Simpson-Long, whose blog I have been reading for years, and who's always reviewed my books most kindly, invited me to get involved. I had no idea Sophie was also on the programme till much later...shame we're not on the same day or she could have given me a lift! I recently met Elaine when we moved to Cambridge.  We share a love for baking cakes and the 'Mapp and Lucia' books!

When you’re in Felixstowe, aside from appearing at the festival, what else are you looking forward to doing or seeing when you're in town?

I will try and come early in the day and look about a bit and maybe go to an event which is earlier than my own! I love going to new places. I wish I could stay overnight but alas I have to get back...

Adele's talk will take place on Saturday 15th June between 3.30 and 4.30 pm at The Orwell Hotel.
Tickets cost £5 and can be purchased here.

No comments:

Post a Comment